Friday, October 19, 2007

Anatomy Confusion

I hope it's okay to make this a topic of its own. I was actually responding to Claire's question posted somewhere else, but I am hoping by posting it as its own topic, more people will respond ...

Lateral flexion, I think, would be in standing half moon (ardachandrasana 1). And I think lateral flexion & extension only pertain to the axial skeleton, so the leg (like you said, Claire, in half-moon balance (ardachandrasana 2)) would not be in lateral flexion ... I don't think the spine would be either, because it should be aligned with your back leg (the straight one)??????

I just read some articles online about foot eversion & I think what I was thinking of as inversion is actually eversion. Feet in double pigeon, for example. They are in dorsiflexion, and to avoid sickling, turned so the sole of the foot is turned outward. But I'm not sure about any of this! Does anyone have anything to help clarify?

10 comments:

Claire said...

Good idea about posting this separately. I'm still somewhat confused on this so consider all I have to say as coming from someone who is not certain ( that is my disclaimer).

I read in the book that lateral flexion pertains only to the axial spine. Standing half-moon seems to be a good example.

But what would lateral extension be? Is that the other side of the spine in the standng half-moon pose? That is, the spine is laterally flexed on the "inside" of the pose; laterally extended on the "outside" of the pose - the side that is reaching ?

Half-mooon balance doesn't have this lateral flexion/extension.

Inversion of the foot is, I believe, bound angle pose or lotus. I don't know double pigeon so I'll need to look that up.

There are good descriptions and clarification on the movements in the Trail Guide on page 32-33 and the following pages that show the movements for the various joints etc.

Just thinking - would half-moon balance possibly be eversion?

Claire said...

Another thought - foot - the lifted one - eversion in eagle perhaps? How about hero?

Claire said...

Take a look at this website:

http://www.pdn.cam.ac.uk/teaching/part1a/1a_fab/basic_anatomy_p3.htm

Anonymous said...

I hope I'm coming across as having the same "I don't know what I'm talking about" disclaimer!

I just came from my favorite class, and I was paying attention to my feet! I think the foot in regular pigeon is in inversion also.

It dawned on me yesterday that Carrie had "lateral flexion/extension" written on the sheet. I wondered why she wrote it like that. I think it's because you're right about the one side of the axial skeleton being in extension while the other is in flexion. You can't have one without the other.

I think (see earlier disclaimer!) that the feet in hero & the non-standing foot in eagle are in plantar flexion, but I'm not sure if they're in eversion. What about seated forward bend, when you pull the outer edges of your feet back? (I think it's in the astanga practice).

Claire said...

Yes, I also think foot is in inversion in pigeon, as it is in bound angle and lotus.

I think (again, this is a guess) that in eagle, there is plantar flexion. However, also in the pose, I feel the lateral side of the foot is raised slightly (eversion). It is something I feel rather than see. I'm not at all sure about hero - I'm sort of grasping at straws just trying to figure out a pose that has eversion. Again, in hero, I "feel" the lateral side of the foot is pulling up in addition to being in plantar flexion.

Anonymous said...

For lateral flexion/extension I am thinking revolved head to knee pose, gate pose, and seated gate pose. Sound right?

Claire said...

Yes, I think revolved head to knee, gate are examples of lateral flexion/extension.

Anonymous said...

I had to look up those postures -- I googled images of them, and that worked well!

I agree that revolved h-to-k and gate have lateral flexion & extension.

Claire said...

here is a note from Carrie re: eversion
Carrie said: "Gang – don’t worry about eversion – if you can figure out a pose that has eversion I will give you an extra bonus point on the test – I can’t think of one myself…"

Claire said...

Did anyone look at the link to "Cambridge Anatomy" on the left side of the blog? It is good forlooking at some of the movements.